We are aware that occasionally an email from us to an applicant is placed into the Spam folder, so if you are waiting for a reply from us please check your Spam/Junk folder.

Any email from us will be an email address from our domain '@knste-shaw.org.uk'. If this has happened please move the email back into your inbox and also mark this @knste-shaw.org.uk domain as a trusted domain and then you will receive our emails straight to your inbox.

You could also add the following to your contacts list adding @knste-shaw.org.uk straight after each name (ie no gaps): admissions

How do I apply?

Applications to Keele and North Staffordshire Teacher Education should be submitted via the GOV.UK service at https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-teacher-training.

During the application process you will be asked to nominate two referees. If you have completed your degree within the last 5 years, one of these must be an academic reference.

Your mental health and well-being is a prime concern of ours. On the course, you will be enabled to support others and so we will ensure that you are aware of how we can help you to meet your own needs so that you can thrive and enjoy our amazing profession.

Keele and North Staffordshire Teacher Education have a Deputy Director who is pleased to be responsible for student welfare and also acts as the enabling coordinator.

More information can be found on our website page HERE.

Is the course full or part time?

We offer both a full and 2 year flexible course Please see our course brochure for more details or visit our full time course page or 2 year flexible course page

Equivalency Guidance

Updated: 13/02/2024 255 KB

In both cases the course runs from end August/September until the end of June. However, if you have a period of absence you might need to work on into July when the schools close so we ask that Trainees take this into consideration when booking summer holidays.

How can I get funding?

Visit the finance page of this website for information about funding for initial teacher training. You may have to pay fees, and may be eligible for a maintenance grant towards your living costs and can apply to Student Finance England (SFE) or equivalent national bodies, for a loan for your tuition fees.

GCSE Equivalents: English, Mathematics and Science

If you do not have one of GCSE English, Mathematics or Science we offer a list of what we do and do not accept as equivalent qualifications: it is found here.

Equivalency Guidance

Updated: 13/02/2024 255 KB

Where is Keele and North Staffordshire Teacher Education?

The office postal address is at Seabridge Primary School. The office is currently based at Keele University. Teaching for our 23/24 cohort will take place primarily at Kidsgrove Secondary School (ST7 4DL).

I want to apply to Keele and North Staffordshire Teacher Education but I live out of the county? Would this be a problem?

There are no restrictions about where you live. However, there is an expectation that you would be able to travel easily to and between our partner schools. Our partnership schools are mostly in Stoke and North Staffordshire (please look at our partnership schools section in this website). We expect our Associate Teachers (our name for trainees) to travel up to a maximum of one hour and fifteen minutes (according to AA route finder) to reach a partnership school based on the starting point for the journey being their term time address. Schools start early in the day and finish late, so you will need to bear this in mind when you are planning to apply to us.

Do I need a PGCE to teach?

No, you do not need a PGCE. The qualification required to teach in England and Wales is Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) but the Keele and North Staffordshire SCITT course leads to the award of QTS and a PGCE. You can also apply for the QTS only award. The course content is the same but there are differences in the tuition fees and you do not gain a PGCE academic award. 

Can I choose my placement schools?

No, Keele and North Staffordshire Teacher Education selects your schools for you. Your circumstances are taken into account in this process. Current placement schools can be found here. The placement schools do vary from year to year.

What’s the difference between SCITT and a PGCE?

SCITT is a type of teacher training course – SCITT programmes are school-based teacher training programmes. A PGCE is an academic qualification – A Postgraduate or Professional Graduate Certificate in Education. Our programme combines the best of both school-based and academic practice. We are very pleased to offer an integrated PGCE within our SCITT course.

See also Dispelling myths about school-led teacher training from the DfE.

Click here for more information on training options from the DfE.

What is the benefit of school experience?

Getting some classroom experience can help you to decide whether teaching is right for you - it could also strengthen your application. However it is not a requirement. You may be interested in the 'Teacher Taster Days' that we have on offer. Any upcoming events can be found on our EVENTS PAGE.

Do you offer Secondary training?

No, we are a primary provider and unfortunately we are unable to offer teacher training in the secondary phase of education.

Can I apply if I am still currently finishing my degree?

Yes you may apply but any offer made would be conditional on you obtaining your degree by the first day of the course.

What are the start and end times each day?

On centre based days (70 days of the 190 days total) the sessions usually run from 8:45am to 4:30pm, sometimes days might be shorter and occasionally longer. You will be given a timetable and plenty of warning if sessions run outside of the usual timing.

Whilst on school placement (120 days) most schools will expect you to arrive approximately by 8.00am so you can prepare for the day ahead. You will be expected to attend meetings after the children have gone home and therefore it is unlikely that your school day will end before 5.00pm and sometimes it will be later.